Monday, November 19, 2012

Jonesy was unique!!!!

  To this day I don’t know where corporal Jones came from. All I know is that he couldn’t read or write and he had been in the Army during WWII and Korea.  He worked at Stuttgart Post (Robinson Barracks) and I think he worked for Special Services.  I do know that he was always moving sports equipment around on the weekends for the little league teams.

  During the early 60’s the Army had a rather good sized PX at Robinson Barracks (years later it was much larger) and they also had a Class VI store. The Class VI store was the location where you went to buy cigarettes and booze.  Each month we were issued a Class VI card which allowed you to buy so many cartons of cigarettes and so many bottles of liquor.  As I recall a carton of cigarettes cost about $1.50 (5 carton limit per month) and a bottle of Jack Daniels was $3.00 to $4.00 (I think a 4 bottle limit). You were not supposed to share your card with anyone!!!!! And you couldn’t purchase more than one carton or bottle at a time.

  I arrived at the Class VI store one afternoon and Jonesy was the only customer in the store. He was at the counter with about 15 bottles of booze.  He had a bunch of Class VI cards in his hand (Illegal). I asked him what the occasion was and he just smiled and said, “It’s Tuesday and I’m ready to F--k, Flight or run a Foot race.” That was Jonesy.  I will tell you more about Jonesy when I cover the NCO club.

  If you were in Stuttgart at Robinson Barracks or Grenadier Kaserne feel free to leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment