Saturday, October 6, 2012

Schotzie

   I’ll bet you thought I was talking about a girl friend.  Well Schotzie was everyone’s girl friend.  She was an extremely obese little dachshund. She was at Grenadier when I got there in 1961 and was gone a few months later. I assume she wandered off or died from extreme obesity.

dachshund

  I was told that Schotzie belonged to no one.  The guess was that she was the mascot of one of the German civilian groups on the kaserne.  She had free reign of Grenadier and could been seen ambling her way between the mess hall and the canteen in building six.  The canteen had a plate of wurst and a bowl of beer waiting when ever she showed up.

  If you were walking around the kaserne and she was at the curb she would bark at you and let you know you were supposed to pick her up and place her on the side walk.  Poor thing was so fat she couldn’t negotiate the curbs.  To this day I have no idea where she slept.  We figured she had a bed in or around the motor pool or the small maintenance buildings behind building six.

No comments:

Post a Comment