Sunday, October 21, 2012

Lindy’s Gasthaus, Zuffenhausen

  This was one of my favorite haunts. This is the place they guys took me to initiate me into the 594th.  Lots of beer that first night and I made the grade. While some of the clientele were American GI’s there was a good mix of Germans, Italians and Greeks.  The Italians and Greeks worked at the Porsche and Mercedes auto plants in and around Zuffenhausen.  I guess the Italians and the Greeks were what was known as low cost laborers.

  I have been on line trying to find the gasthaus and can’t find it.  I assume it has gone by the wayside.  The owners were very nice folks. The husband was Italian and his wife was German.  They always had pretty waitresses and a variety of nationalities to match their customers.

  Somewhere during my Army service I learned a very simple match game.  I always had it out on my table at Lindy’s.  All the Italians, Greeks, Germans and some of the GI’s could challenge me at anytime.  It cost one mark or one shot of Kirschwasser, with a cherry, to play me. Kirschwasser is simply a clear fruit brandy.  I think it could take the paint off a car. I would occasionally allow someone to win and that kept them coming.  The owners loved it because they got the drink business and I liked it because it kept my trips to Lindy’s almost free!  Funny thing about the game is that if both players know the game the player that goes first wins.

                                  

                      KIRSCHWASSER    

                                     0   0   0

                                   0   0   0   0

                                 0   0   0   0   0      

The zero’s above represent coins or matches.  The rules are simple. Make the other person pick up the last match or coin.  You can take as many or as few of the coins that you want but out of only one row at a time and in turn.  The people watching thought they had the game figured out until they sat down and paid their mark to play.  It was different when you were playing.  Maybe those watching got the bigger picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment