Monday, September 10, 2012

My cars…

  As I mentioned before, the exchange rate was almost always 4 to 1 or better while I stationed there.  The car below was my first car. I think it was a 1948 or 1949 Mercedes 170D. The paint on the car shown here is a lot better than what I had.  I would love to know the genealogy on that car.  God knows how many GI’s had owned this car before me. The only problem was I always had problems with it so I ended up selling it after only a few months.  As I recall I paid $350.00 for it and sold it for about the same.

1948 MERCEDES 170D

My next car was a little more practical.  Major Adams was selling his 1953 Dodge. It had everything on it and was in excellent shape. He sold it to me for $350.00 and told me that if anything went wrong in the first 6 months he would pay for the repairs. Nothing went wrong and I had the car for about a year and a half then sold it for $400.00 to another soldier.

1953 DODGE CORONET

It was a 1953 Dodge Coronet and it was fully loaded.  The only difference was that my car had a two-tone green finish.  The same green as shown as well as a lighter green on the sides. Great car.  It was a head turner in Germany in the early 60’s especially in the smaller towns I used to frequent.

No comments:

Post a Comment