Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Arriving at Stuttgart Germany

  I arrived at Stuttgart on Thursday, 29 June 1961.  As I recall it was early afternoon and not having planned my arrival well I had to use the latrine immediately on debarking the train.  This is where I encountered my first trough to take a leak in.  It was also my first encounter with a putzfrau.  As we were relieving ourselves in walks a cleaning woman who proceeds to mop bathroom floor all around us.  Difficult to concentrate, aim and hide all at the same time!

  After using the bathroom we headed out for a ride to our various posts.  I was headed for the 594th Transportation Group, 5th Regional Transportation Movement Office (RTMO) headquartered at Grenadier Kaserne.  I found out that Grenadier Kaserne was located in Stuttgart Zuffenhausen a northern suburb of Stuttgart proper.

  No welcoming bands or hoopla, just reported in to the commanding office Lt. Col. Polumbo.  Colonel Polumbo was marking time until he retired and as I recall he left a month or two later.  Got my room assignment and started meeting fellow members of the 5th RTMO.

No comments:

Post a Comment