Monday, April 29, 2013

Turkish soldiers

   I’m not sure where the Turks were stationed but I do remember there being in and around the Stuttgart (Robinson Barracks) PX and commissary.  I didn’t think too much about it until we were attending maneuvers in Baumholder.

 KLINGER

   The Turks were involved in the war games and I remember a Staff Sergeant telling me that when they were pulling guard duty in the field a couple of his soldiers were surprised when Turk soldiers crawled up behind them, tapped them on the leg and said, '”you OK GI.”  The guards never heard them approach. A little unsettling to say the least.

    I decided it would probably be nice to be on the same side during a war. My lasting impression is that they all looked like Cpl. Klinger but bigger and meaner looking. I didn’t know who Cpl Klinger was in 1962 but when I saw him on M*A*S*H on TV later in life I had a immediate flash back to Baumholder.

No comments:

Post a Comment